Concept Refinement


Concept Refinement 

 

When I pitched the idea for my magazine, I received minimal feedback, and the feedback I did receive already consisted of ideas that I already had. Since the feedback I received did not give me an “Aha” moment, I did not think the feedback was entirely influential.  

Regarding the concept of my magazine, I realized that in my concept refinement document, I wanted to make both a printed version of my magazine and a digital. After reading the article Magazine publishing trends for 2019 on woodwing.com, I realize how important printed articles are; not only that, but also how much more printed magazines are needed today, because they are diminishing in number as technology improves. With that in mind, Troy Young has a statement in the article that says “Print is heavily edited and curated and it’s like a celebration or an event that happens once a month. And there’s something wonderful about that. And it’s a lean-back experience that I think gives a consumer a break from the intensity of the digital world. And I think increasingly that people are going to look for that” (Bezuidenhout, 2019). this quote reinforces my decision to create both a printed copy of my magazine and an online version. However, if it turns out to be difficult to create a printed magazine, I will create an online version. Even though online magazines are becoming more common, I still believe that my magazine will be unique because it is comprised of the idea of underrated artists and places with art that a common magazine would most likely not have. All in all, I also know that there are some forums online for this type of idea, but there are rarely any magazines for it. 

Moving on, my magazine will consist of art and underrated artists that will entice not only people that are aware of this topic, but newcomers as well. The goal of my magazine is to catch attention to art and for people to acknowledge and appreciate underrated artists more. With the article The Abundance, Joy, Beauty, Persistence, Power, and Potential of Independent Publishing: A CONVERSATION WITH SIX BLACK EDITORS, the author Camille Dungy states, “Through literature we formulate our cultural imagination. We turn to literature in part to understand who we have been and who we can be. As editors we are charged with shepherding new ways of seeing, thinking, and being into the world” (Dungy, 2020). I believe this heavily relates to my concept because much of it will be composed of finding underrated artists and understanding how each individual in the world contributes to ideas.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Portfolio Planning 2